International Advisor Planning Learning and Accountability (PLA)
Rikolto is an international Foundation of Public Interest with 40-years of experience in sustainable agricultural development. We enable and support smallholders in alleviating rural poverty and in contributing to feeding a growing world population sustainably.
Our main focus today is on developing sustainable agricultural chains from the local up to the international level. The organisation achieves its aims through its partnerships with organised farmer groups, private sector actors (traders, processors, retailers), NGOs, research institutions, and government agencies in 16 different countries. We play a facilitating role among the relevant stakeholders in developing common strategies for inclusive business models, aiming at economic business models that are economically, socially and ecologically sustainable. The goal is to increase benefits to all parties within each chain – and specially to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
We support our partners through 8 regional offices in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. This network of Rikolto offices is supported by an international office, which fulfils key advisory roles and offers shared services such as finance, monitoring & evaluation, people & organisation, communication and fundraising. International office staff is integrated in the Rikolto network through international area-specific teams that connect all homologues from the regional offices and strive to bring the organisational performance to a higher level.
One of these teams supports the organisation in M&E matters – coined Planning, Learning and Accountability (PLA) at Rikolto. One of the two PLA advisors at International Office is retiring and we are looking for a dynamic person to join our team.
Fixed contract, starting on June 1st, 2018
Develop instruments, methodologies and support processes to support the organisational Monitoring and Evaluation system - PLA: Planning, Learning and Accountability - in view of achieving Rikolto's vision and mission.
Co-director in charge of PLA
International PLA manager
Position in the organisation
Member of the International Office
Member of the International PLA team
International office (Leuven, Belgium) or one of the regional offices (can be discussed)
Occasional travelling will be required
As PLA advisor at the International Office, your main role is to co-create together with the international PLA team the development and the implementation, follow-up and continuous improvement of an effective PLA system (appropriate processes, systems, structures and organisational culture) that ensures sound planning, optimal accountability of the organisation to all its stakeholders, continuous critical self-reflection on the own performance, and organisational learning.
Together with other PLA colleagues, you will take up responsibilities that fall under the following roles:
- Elaborate user-friendly formats and methodologies for a lean, effective PLA system
- Train colleagues in the use of PLA tools and methodologies
- Support data-driven programme management practices and impact assessments (incl. household surveys; organisational process tracing; qualitative comparative analysis of programme portfolios)
- Foster the sharing of lessons learnt and good practices
- Provide advice for the development and monitoring of programmes and ensure the coherence thereof with reports for the organisation's donors
- Report on the organisation's progress towards the fulfilment of the mission and strategic objectives
- Support the elaboration of a catalogue of SMART indicators related to Rikolto interventions
- Support the elaboration of a hands-on reference document for the elaboration of SMART guidelines
- Prepare topic-specific dashboards for clear visualisation of data
- Provide support to PLA colleagues for timely and accurate data entry
- Provide support in linking databases of regional offices to the international one
- Support the organisation-wide use of SenseMaker: Inclusive Business Scan, Youth in Agriculture Scan and the development of new frameworks
- Develop methodologies and coordinate implementation to stay abreast of new developments in the sector to meet PLA needs of the organisation
- Liaise with other organisations and PLA experts to promote and share the PLA expertise and experience of the organisation and to learn from each other
- Ensure a good balance in the role division of the international PLA team and keep the roles up to date
- Promote a fun, constructive and interactive atmosphere for collaboration within the team
- Keep track of internal capacity development needs and organise trainings
- Encourage and support the implementation of self-managing team principles
Qualifications and technical knowledge
- Master degree in a relevant domain
- Knowledge of statistical research methods and analysis packages (R/SPSS/...)
- Tech-savvy (database-management, creative problem solving in Excel, ...)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (ideally familiar with O365)
- Excellent in understanding, speaking and writing English
- Working knowledge of French or Spanish (both would be an extra advantage)
- Prior experience in a similar position in an international organisation is preferred
- Experience in Knowledge Management, Electronic Information Management Systems, and Monitoring & Evaluation is desired
- Experience in project (cycle) management (need assessment, conceptualisation, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation) and in facilitating respective learning processes
Skills and knowledge
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural team
- Ability to translate experiences into workable concepts and strategies
- Very good communication and information management skills
- Ability to structure own work independently
- Analytical skills
- Ability to coach and play the facilitation role in a manner that empowers those who are coached to eventually become facilitators of similar processes
- Strong affinity with Rikolto's mission and values
- Positive attitude focused on win-win solutions
- Acts with integrity and respects others (working together)
- Constructively challenges self and others (making it happen)
- Can be relied on to deliver commitments (accountable)
- Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team, fosters open dialogue and shares successes (building effective teams)
- Inspires people to act (in accordance with Rikolto's vision and values)
- Eager to learn and share lessons learnt
How to apply
Please submit by Sunday, February 25, 2018, your motivation to apply for this position along with your CV (both as pdf-files) to email@example.com, with a carbon copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the position, you can contact email@example.com.
After a selection based on motivation and CV, we will hold interviews in the week of March 14, 2018. A second interview will take place in the week of April 16, 2018. We are looking forward to welcoming the selected candidate in our office on Friday, June 1st, 2018.