SRH and Sexual Violence and Midwifery Referent Advisor
MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The successful applicant will have as a main objective to provide technical support for all projects involving sexual reproductive in the field, contributing to the improvement of care provided to patients in MSF projects in this domain. This general objective involves the following core areas:
- SRH in close collaboration with the Gyn-Obst referent advisor and paediatric referent-advisor
- Sexual violence, in close collaboration with , MH adivsor, HA/CE/HP advisor and legal advisor.
Her/his duty should always be framed on best international practices and standards.
The work will be carried out in the framework of the Strategic plan OCBA, the operational policy and OCBA, the SRH /OSV / violence roadmaps annual plans as well as the Medical department plans, working in close collaboration with other technical advisors involved to contribute to a more transversal, integrated and holistic support to the cells and the field.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
The Referent will be hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Head of Referents – Team A (hospitals/secondary-tertiary health care). Functionally linked and supporting Medical polyvalent (TESACO/ Desk HQ), Medical Coordinators (missions) and Project Medical Referents (projects), as the rest of the referent advisors of the Medical department.
While in the field, he/she works under the regular hierarchical and functional structures of the missions, while keeping communication with the Medical Department.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES, FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
- S/he is the SRH and SV referent to field missions/cells polyvalent medical staff, concerning any technical problem / questions that arise from the field while providing SRH or sexual violence care services.
- S/he conducts field visits / supports when needed (including emergencies) under the responsibilities, functions and tasks described in the field visit’s terms of reference.
- S/he will remain updated on scientific knowledge and evidence published in her/is areas of expertise to ensure a relevant support to the field.
- S/he will provide the fields missions/cells with adapted support according to the needs and requests, providing direct an immediate response or/and searching actively for the needed answers through research (literature review, seeking advice of specialist in the matter) to provide the best available solutions, based always in good practices and international standards.
- S/he will give follow up support directly or with the help of other technical referents (i.e. SRH/Gyn-Obs, pediatric, mental health, legal HA/CE/HP) to accompany and support closer the efforts of the team in the field, also as a way to better understand the challenges and adapt the technical advices accordingly.
- S/he provides support to enhance quality of care in the missions through protocols and guidance concerning technical program set up and clinical procedures, as well as through follow up visits. Participates in the follow up, monitoring & evaluation of the quality implementation of the SRH and Sexual Violence components
- S/he, together with the SRH/Gynae Obs and , pediatric Referents and other colleagues of the Medical department, follow the implementation of the SRH core package of activities to contribute to the reduction of maternal mortality and morbidity, including emergencies;
- S/he, together with the mental health, legal and HA/CE/HP Referents and other colleagues of the Medical department, follow the implementation of the Sexual Violence care activities to contribute to the improved access and quality of care for SV, including in emergencies
- She/he will work on adapted packages and protocols for emergency and conflict settings
- Participation in discussions on design, development, implementation, review and modification of specific projects, together with the cell and other referents of the medical department.
- Actively will participate in the planning and implementation of assessments and will be involved in the development of proposals for potential operational interventions;
- S/he will work alongside a team of other referents, and other medical colleagues specialized in relevant fields for SRH and Sexual Violence. (i.e. HIV, laboratory, nutrition, malaria, pharmacy);
- Contributing to the transversal analysis of our projects and capitalizing on experience through strategic documents, technical recommendations and guidelines;
- S/he will receive data and reports from the field regarding SRH and SV activities, to contribute together with SRH/Gyn-Obs, pediatric, mental health, legal and HA/CE/HP Referent in its analysis, providing timely feedback to support the quality of care in MSF OCBA SRH and Sexual violence and participate in its dissemination by preparing presentations in an adapted format (presentations in the field / HQ/external);
- With the SRH/Gyn-Obs Referent, s/he will explore new avenues for appropriate SRH care projects, - background research, designing and revision of guidelines, collaborating with operations in the implementation and adaptation of strategies and policies.
- S/he will produce together with the SRH/Gyn-Obs and pediatric Referents the reports needed forf the SRH activities and with the mental health, legal and HA/CE/HP referent the reporst needed for the SV activities throughout the year, taking into account intersectional agreements on reporting where applicable
- Reports regularly to the line manager on the development of her/his activities, orally and in writing if requested. Gives regular updates to the rest of the medical department team.
- Briefing and debriefing of expat midwives, obstetricians, PMR’s and Medco’s (or other pertinent expatriates/field workers) to discuss and orient in main responsibilities, guidelines policies, data collection and reporting, together with other referents. Absorbs the concerns expressed by the colleagues coming from the field and makes effective use of the lessons learned proceeding to realize the necessary adjustments.
- In case there is/are a MIO in the domain, s/he will provide technical and functional support and coordinate with the MIO to make sure the support is provided timely and effectively.
- S/he contributes to the definition of priorities in operational research, suggests ideas and participates in the follow up and supervision of operational research activities in SRH and sexual violence.
- S/he will prepare presentations and participate in colloquiums and seminars on SRH and sexual violence subjects,
- Supports the HHRR department and the learning unit in the recruitment, matching and development of midwifery staff.
- Support the learning referent in the development of the SRH and sexual violence training content in a wide range of trainings, both medical and non-medical.
- Assist in the medical on call on rotation with the TESACO’s and other referents.
- S/he follows actively, monitor and evaluate the service provided by telemedicine related to his/her area of expertise.
Medical department development and networking:
- As referent of the Medical department, s/he participates in all activities organized by the Medical department, including weekly, monthly and process revision meetings, as in other ad hoc relevant reunions;
- S/he is participating and contributing to MSF OCBA medical department activities through proposals concerning the enhancement of the quality and relevance of SRH and sexual violence services;
- Participates in the development of the plan of action of the department and contributes to review and update protocols, guidelines and policies in her/is fields of expertise, including its preparation and dissemination in OCBA missions and in the MSF movement.
- S/he will promote together with SRH/Gyn Obs Referent, the development of SRH programs within MSF OCBA, identifying key priorities issues which need to be invested in (operational research, key SRH related questions).
- S/he will promote together with the mental health, legal and HA/CE/HP Referent, the development of SV programs within MSF OCBA, identifying key priorities issues which need to be invested in (operational research, key SV related questions).
- Informs and updates colleagues of the medical department on the evolution of the current SRH and sexual violence issues on a regular basis.
- Keep a regular communication and exchange with the other technical advisors/cells/departments in order to contribute to enhanced transversal work and better support to the field.
- S/he participates in OCBA training initiatives and technical international meetings with the SRHWG when needed / required, contributing to the development of competences and skills of the MSF HHRR in her/is technical area.
- Collaborate when requested and approved by her/his line manager with specific dossiers with other departments and services (HHRR, Communication, Fundraising, Logistics, etc.).
- Supports the communication department where needed (providing talks, articles, videos and/or looking for appropriate speakers that can do so)
- S/he liaises regularly with key relevant actors related to SRH, SV and midwifery (academics, researchers, institution developing programs or policies related to this field) to inform or get informed on recent / ongoing developments in and outside of MSF (programs, research, initiatives, introduction of new tools) and use those info to feed internal discussion on SRH, SV and midwifery to promote innovation;
- Follow up and keep updated on the scientific literature in the SRH and SV domains that interest MSF OCBA (Cells med/ Field missions/ Med Dept.)
Education, Experience and desired attributes
- Certified midwife in 3 years direct entry or Certified Nurse Midwife in (min) 5 years
- Education and /or experience in Sexual Violence will be a valuable asset
- Education and /or experience in Community based approaches will be an asset
- Very good knowledge of sexual reproductive health and sexual violence in contexts of low income countries
- An ALSO or ALSO global provider certificate and a still valid ALSO (global) instructor certificate will be a valuable asset
- Experience in the implementation of safe abortion care in field projects is an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years programme experience in different MSF projects (different contexts) or with relevant medical organization working in low income countries and/or humanitarian settings
- Fluent in English and Spanish. Knowledge of French is a valuable asset and knowledge of other languages ( Arabic, and Portuguese) is an asset.
- Knowledge in computer: Excel, Word and PowerPoint programmes.
- Pedagogical certificate or training and communication skills highly appreciated.
- Master degree in a health related topic is an asset.
- Ability to provide answers to required matters in a simple way, practical and adapted to MSF field conditions.
- Willing to travel abroad, including conflict settings
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in Barcelona at the MSF headquarters office with regular field visits (estimated to up to 30 % of time)
- Regular international meetings
- Full-time job
- Permanent position: Minimum commitment of 3 years
- Annual gross salary: 35,964.18 € (divided in 12 months payments) + secondary benefits, based on MSF OCBA reward policy
- Starting date: 26 February 2018
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference "SRH/Sexual Violence & Midwifery Ref" to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Closing date: 07th of January 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates
- Betaalde job
- Loon: •Annual gross salary: 35,964.18 € (divided in 12 months payments) + secondary benefits, based on MSF OCBA reward policy
- Online sinds
met referentie SRH/Sexual Violence & Midwifery Ref
- Indiensttreding: zo snel mogelijk
Nou de la Rambla 26