Laboratory Manager in Ukraine (m/f)
Tuberculosis (TB) is a major public health problem in Ukraine, a country of 43 million people.
In 2014 Ukraine was cited for the first time as one of the 5 countries with the highest burden of DR TB in the world; together China, Russian Federation, Pakistan and Ukraine concentrate 60% of all world DR TB cases. The TB epidemic in Ukraine is characterized by widespread multi-drug resistant (MDR) and extensively drug resistant (XDR) tuberculosis (TB), relatively high mortality from untreated or inappropriately treated TB, and increasing TB/HIV co-infection rates.
2018 marked the formal start of MSF project in Zhytomyr region of Ukraine, with the signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) regarding implementation of "Comprehensive model of care for drug resistant tuberculosis (DR TB): diagnosis, treatment and follow up of the patients in Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine" between MSF, Zhytomyr Oblast Council, Department of Healthcare of the Zhytomyr Oblast State Administration, and Zhytomyr TB Dispensary; and followed by MoU between MSF, Ministry of Health (MoH) of Ukraine and the Department of Health of Zhytomyr Oblast State Administration for cooperation and coordination of efforts of the Parties aimed at development and implementation of a patient-oriented comprehensive model of the provision of medical care to patients with drug-resistant Tuberculosis.
The Laboratory manager will ensure the quality of all testing regarding TB diagnosis and patient management.
Following tests are carried out: Ziehl Neelsen light smear microscopy from different specimens , Xpert MTB/Rif molecular test, Line Probe Assay from sputum and cultures, culture and drug susceptibility testing from different specimens in Lowenstein Jensen medium (LJ) Mycobacteria growth indicator tube (MGIT) Middlebrook 7H9 Broth.
As the current laboratory activities are moving to a new adapted structure (BSL 3), the Laboratory manager ensures norms are followed.
· Providing technical support to MoH Zhytomyr Tuberculosis laboratory with the view of ensuring quality of diagnostics.
· Performing quality control tests and analysis, ensuring the compliance to the basic plans of the laboratory and that all tests (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology, compatibility, etc.) are done correctly and according to prescriptions. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control
· Supporting the project with case discussions with the medical team
· Performing interpretation of Hain test first and second line results for TB patients
· Supporting the project with preparation of project orders and stock management and analysis for the laboratory items and foresee potential problems like future ruptures, expiries and overstock levels and propose workable solutions
· Supporting the setup of the new BSL 3 laboratory together with the MSF Logistic and construction team
· Participating in the definition and update of the laboratory activities, including its budget, and assisting in the medical diagnosis and the treatment of diseases of the patients
· Ensuring that the hygiene and safety protocols both for individual as well as for collective protection (i.e. required clothes and equipment, hygiene and universal precautions, etc.) are implemented in laboratories and that the cleaning personnel is informed about biohazards
· Organize and participate in training and performance evaluation, development of the laboratory staff of the project in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
· Compiling, analyzing and reporting on lab activities and results to the medical staff and the immediate supervisor. Providing data on complications, the total number and types of tests and in general, any problem with the staff and / or laboratory material. Also participating in the development of epidemiological reports relating to MSF health services
· Laboratory scientist/Biologist certified in clinical microbiology
· Bachelor of Science in Microbiology
· Medical doctor Clinical microbiologist
· Master or PhD in Clinical microbiology
· Essential specific proven work experience in performing and interpreting DR TB diagnostic techniques – GeneXpert, Phenotypic DST (solid and liquid media), molecular methods (LPA 1st and 2nd line) and familiar with interpreting of genotyping methods
Working experience of at least two years in DR TB programs in MSF or other organizations involved in TB management.
· Strong analytical skills
· Good communication and training skills
· Adherence to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment.
· Essential – English
· Desirable – Russian
· Expected starting date: As soon as possible
· 12 months fixed-term field contract, based in Zhytomyr
· Salary according to MSF-OCB field salary scale. Transport, accommodation, vaccinations are taken in charge by MSF. Per diem + medical insurance
· Adhere to MSF charter
· No family position
· A dynamic and stimulating work environment alongside multicultural colleagues
How to apply?
Application (CV + cover letter) to be sent before September 19, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention "Laboratory Manager Ukraine" in the subject of your email.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.
- Betaalde job
- Online sinds
- Indiensttreding: zo snel mogelijk
Gewijde Boomstraat 46