Mobile Implementation Officer (M.I.O.) – HVAC & Cold Chain (m/f)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance to people affected by armed conflicts, epidemics, exclusion from healthcare and natural disasters. MSF assists people in need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political convictions.
Within the frame provided by operations, Logistics in the field provide the adequate environment of care for our beneficiaries and our team's activities.
The Logistics Department's mission is to provide the logisticians in the project, access to resources (information, knowledge, technical support) and professional developments (learning, etc.) for them to be able to carry out their mission.
The Mobile Implementation Officer (M.I.O.) HVAC and Cold Chain position is related to the fact that MSF's medical activities require continuous support to ensure a healthy, safe and suitable environment for patients, medical staff and supplies by delivering the appropriate temperature, humidity and indoor air quality conditions.
The MIO HVAC and Cold Chain is part of the Log Support Unit (LSU) under the line management of the Energy Team Leader and the Pharmaceutical Logistics Referent Referent in charge of Good Distribution practices (GDP) and Cold chain (for the concerned technical family). S/he will be able to give the first line support to the field. S/he will be coordinated with the Energy Team Leader to improve and/or implement the MSF process, tools and techniques related. S/he will be proactive to evaluate and propose solutions in line to her/his technical domain.
The aim of the MIO HVAC and Cold Chain is to implement or improve practices in the field for an effective and efficient design, management, and use of HVAC and active cold chain equipment which ensure proper air quality and comfort conditions.
· S/he contributes with the Energy Team Leader by giving feedback of the functional status of the HVAC conditions in running projects.
· S/he contributes with the Pharmaceutical Logistics referent on providing technical solutions to the field to ensure the correct storage of thermosensitive medical products (in conformity with the WHO Good Distribution Practices requirements).
· S/he assists the setup of HVAC settings in starting or running missions in terms of technical needs, human resources, trainings, and external contractors according to MSF framework.
· Provide specialized 1st line support in HVAC and active cold chain domain:
o To support the Log Field Team on HVAC design, installation, use, maintenance and decommissioning when no local service capacity or formal MSF guidance is available.
o To support the Log Field Team on functional evaluation of HVAC setup as well as in proposing new solutions.
o To support the field to increase the abilities and capacities of the Energy Referent and/or Energy Technician in the HVAC domain
o To support the Log Field team on functional active cold chain installation according to the needs (including cold rooms installation and qualification).
o To improve and/or implement in the field the MSF protocols, tools and techniques related to HVAC.
o To evaluate in the field the possibilities and advantages of collaboration with the other technical families: construction, Watsan, health facilities management, biomed.
· Provide specialized 2nd line support in HVAC and cold chain domains & contribute to the reflection on the impact of this 2nd line support on the 3rd line developments:
o To support the Log Field Team on evaluation of external suppliers, maintenance contracts, local purchase and outsourced HVAC services and equipment such as chillers, air conditioners, central heating systems.
o To support the Log Field Team to solve interdisciplinary technical problems affecting the optimal functionality of the HVAC conditions with regards to electrical or water supply, infrastructural concerns, infection control matters, among others.
o To Support the Log Field Team on the functional setup for active cold chain equipment.
o Contribute to ensure that each/most of 2nd line support has an impact on the 3rd line developments and has proper capitalization.
· Provide support when possible to the Energy Team Leader in 3rd line support tools development, such as:
o Guidelines for designing and maintaining HVAC settings and active cold chain equipment
o HVAC technical training
o Follow-up and supervise outsourced developments
o Job descriptions of HVAC and cold chain Referents and/or HVAC and cold chain Technicians in the field
· Technical education (refrigeration technician/engineer) in energy or mechanics
· Minimum 1-year experience in related position
· Relevant work experience in health structures
· Certificates in technical maintenance are an asset
· Experience in developing countries is an asset
· Experience working with MSF or another international humanitarian organisation is an asset
· Experience in coaching and training of staff
· Excellent written and oral communications skills
· Good oral and written communication in English and French (any additional operational language is an asset)
· Ability to plan and organize in stressful environment
· Mobile & flexible
· Good analytical skills
· Proactive and willing to propose innovative ideas and solutions rapidly
· Ability to set priorities and organize his/her own work
· Result, quality & service oriented
· Good teamwork and cooperation capacity
· Willing to take measured risks and responsibility for her/his choices
· Engineering background with experience in HVAC
· Ability to design & propose HVAC setups, including maintenance, planning and procurement
· Ability to compare technical specifications of HVAC equipment
· Ability to design & deliver technical trainings
· Good understanding of sustainable building design (alt. low energy building design, energy efficient building design, or passive construction energy systems) and insulation techniques
· Good understanding of electricity and electrical safety
· Proficiency AutoCAD user
· Good knowledge of HVAC design software: HAP, VRV design tools, etc...
- 1 year "MIO contract" starting in January 2020 – full-time
- Field position: salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale
- Position based in Brussels but mainly carried out (up to 75% of the time) in the field
Application (CV + cover letter) to be sent to Recruit-HQ-Log@brussels.msf.org latest December 5th 2019 with "MIO HVAC & Cold Chain" in the subject.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.
- Betaalde job
- Online sinds
met referentie MIO HVAC & Cold Chain
- +32 2 4747 415
Gewijde Boomstraat 46