Professor of Maternal and Reproductive Health
Department of Public Health
The mission of the Department of Public Health of the Institute of Tropical Medicine is to conduct public health research of international standing, provide post-graduate education of high quality and engage in service delivery with the ultimate goal to advance global health. Present research domains include health policy and health systems; sexual and reproductive health; infectious disease including neglected tropical disease and antimicrobial resistance; non-communicable and chronic diseases; and outbreaks. The department is organized in multidisciplinary units, including public health specialists, epidemiologists, social scientists and health economists.
The group of Sexual and Reproductive Health at the department of Public Health focuses on a broad range of issues from HIV and other STI , sexual health to family planning and Maternal and Neonatal Health. Within this group, ITM seeks to recruit a Professor of Maternal and Reproductive Health to develop a comprehensive and innovative research agenda closely linked to training and capacity building in this field. The thematic focus is on Maternal Health, prevention of mortality and morbidity related to pregnancy and child birth, as well as Reproductive health including prevention of unwanted pregnancy and promotion of sexual health among adolescents and young women in a context of low and middle income countries (LMIC). The research portfolio is expected to include programme, health policy and health system dimensions.
- You develop an innovative research portfolio in the field of Maternal and Reproductive health in LMIC, including acquiring external funding and develop new partnerships and strengthen the international reputation and visibility of ITM’s work in this field.
- You attract and train PhD students.
- You participate in teaching responsibilities in ITM’s Master in Public Health and in the post-graduate course in International Health, and in the development of new course modules or specialized courses.
- You contribute to the ITM’s international capacity strengthening programmes.
- You provide expert advice to national and international stakeholders in the field.
- You lead a team and take hierarchic responsibilities regarding management, quality andsafety. You develop a strategy and policy for the unit.
- You have a master in medicine (medical doctor) or an equivalent track.
- You have a Master in Public Health (MPH) or equivalent.
- You have a PhD in a relevant research domain.
- You have a proven track record of high quality research on Maternal and/or Reproductive Health in LMIC, including extensive publications on these topics.
- You have a strong methodological focus on quantitative and/or qualitative methods and affinity with context and health systems in LMIC.
- You have strong academic track record in successful grant writing, PhD training, research collaborations.
- You have a good record of extensive international partnerships and networks.
- You are a leader, strong communicator and team manager.
- You have demonstrable active knowledge of English, and preferably French; you know Dutch or are willing to learn it; knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- A full time tenure appointment in the initial rank of associate or (full) professor, depending on your academic qualifications.
- A salary according to the ITM and Flemish universities.
- A stimulating, international and committed working environment in a historical but thriving city.
- Core support and access to internal programmatic and competitive funds in terms of staff, functioning, facilities, international collaboration.
- Additional benefits including extra-legal pension plan, public transport or bike compensation, meal vouchers.
For more information contact:
Send your application with ITM application form and motivation letter by e-mail to email@example.com by 1 April 2019.
The ITM application form is available as a download on our website www.itg.be.