Psychologist - Humanitarian HUB (m/f)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. We work in over 60 countries, offering assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. The Humanitarian HUB in Brussels of MSF Operational Centre Brussels is looking for a: Psychologist (m/f)
Since September 2017 a stable number of +/- 700 irregular migrants stay around in the Maximilian Park in Brussels. Most are waiting to cross to the UK. Although we are dealing with a moving population, the demographics of the people in Brussels stay more or less the same. Most of the people come from Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia.
These people are in need of shelter, food, medical and psychosocial care. They also need to have access to objective information about asylum procedures and their rights.
Several Belgian NGO's and civil society actors have put their efforts together and are providing a series of humanitarian services in a common project, the humanitarian hub (HUB), with the objective of responding in a comprehensive manner to the needs of these people. The hub offers medical care, mental health care, family tracing services, clothes distribution, social and legal assistance, phone charging and phone call possibilities. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is providing mental health care in this set-up and participates actively in the management of the project.
At national level, the Belgian government has put in place restrictive policies of deterrence with
a criminalizing discourse of the "transmigrants" to the Belgian public; regular police harassment towards the people sleeping in the park; regular detention of migrants.
Officially, the Belgian government wants to tackle the smuggling networks. The government creates a climate of fear and mistrust in order to justify repressive tactics and (populist) anti-immigration discourse.
The region has allocated a budget to support the functioning of the HUB. However, most organizations are working with volunteers, which reduces heavily the costs related to human resources.
MSF is one of the partners in the humanitarian HUB (building where services are grouped and coordinated) managed as a consortium between different organizations to respond to the needs of this specific migrant population.
Activities are provided by partners in the HUB as follow:
· Primary health care and midwives consultations: Médecins du Monde
· Mental health: MSF (1st line consultation)
· Non-Food distribution (clothes, hygiene products,...): Plateforme Citoyenne
· Family link maintenance/research: Red Cross
· Social services: Plateforme Citoyenne (SISA)
· MENA: SOS Jeunes
MSF also has a 2nd line structure (the MSF clinic) where specialized metal health care is provided. In this structure, MSF aims to provide patients' psychological follow up, psychiatric consultations, medication prescription and adherence support, social consultations and physiotherapy sessions.*
The MSF team consists of 1 Field Coordinator, 1 Project Mental Health Referent, 1 resource manager, 3 psychologists, 4 psychiatrists (volunteer or detached), 4 Cultural mediators (or translators), 1 social worker and, in order to re-inforce the team, MSF is looking for a psychologist for a part time contract at 70%, until end of December 2020, with possibility to extend.
*Above mentioned services could be subject to change
Providing first and second line psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients' mental health.
• Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient about the possible consequences of mental health issues.
• Referring patients to other mental health professionals or other services whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patient's condition.
• Identify, support and refer adequately survivors of Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) so that they receive the adapted care.
• Closely collaborate with medical, social and legal services in HuB, promoting a multidisciplinary approach, in order to obtain the best possible result according the patient's needs.
• Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health condition.
• Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities.
• Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behavior during sessions.
• Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities.
• Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients' treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective.
• Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
· Essential Master's degree in Clinical Psychology
· Essential 2 years' experience minimum as a Psychologist
· Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGO's
· Languages: French and/or English mandatory. Arabic is a strong asset and Dutch is also an asset.
· Computer: good skills using outlook, word, excel and internet
· Team player, able to work in a multicultural environment
· Autonomous and flexible
· Active listener, patient and calm
· The candidate adheres to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
· Part-Time (70%) until 31 December 2020, extendable
· Expected starting date: 6th of January 2020
· Location: Brussels, Belgium (HUB and MSF Clinic)
· A dynamic and stimulating work environment alongside multicultural colleagues
CV and motivation letter with "psychologist" in the subject line to be send to: Msfocbfirstname.lastname@example.org before 15/12/2019.
Please name you application documents with your LAST NAME.
We thank all those who apply. Please note that due to the volume of applications, only candidates selected for the interviews will be contacted further.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.
- Betaalde job
- Online sinds
met referentie Psychologist
Gewijde Boomstraat 46