Senior Strategic Advisor (m/f)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of religion, creed or political affiliation. To develop this work, the Finance Department is recruiting a:
Senior Strategic Advisor (m/f)
Within MSF OCB, the Finance Department is composed of 6 units for a total of 33 FTEs. Its mission is to ensure that financial statements give a true and fair view of the financial position of MSF Belgium/OCB and Budget & Forecasts are accurate to support the piloting of the organization. It also aims to ensure an optimal and efficient use of financial resources in support of the MSF OCB operations. MSF's financial autonomy depends heavily on the trust of donors, and the proportion of private income. Accountability and transparency are key elements of the Finance strategy that is contributing to strengthen the trust from the different stakeholders (donors, beneficiaries, employees, Board members, association members...).
The Finance directorate wants to reinforce its department with a Senior Strategic Advisor & Financial planning coordinator position who will:
- work in an autonomous way on a series of strategic dossiers and tasks identified and delegated by the Finance director (approx. 75% of the time) ;
- coordinate the financial planning team (approx. 25% of the time).
1/ Supervision of key projects
The Senior Strategic Advisor will supervise the projects that are delegated to him in an autonomous way. Key decisions will be made together with the Finance Director (e.g. initial budget, scope, timing, general approach, budget revisions), who remains ultimately responsible. Progress made on projects supervised by the Senior Strategic Advisor will be discussed on a regular basis during one-to-one meetings or in project Steercos.
2/ Represent Finance
Represent Finance in various situations, such as :
- Back-up to the Finance Director in case of absence : in Codir, Dirbriefing, International platforms
- Present Finance projects supervised : in Codir, in Flash Info, Trainings, coordo weeks, etc...
- Represent Finance in non-finance project Steercos
3/ International projects
On an ad-hoc basis, analyse international projects, data provided and give input to the Finance Director. This input should enable the Finance Director to have thorough and effective discussions in the various international platforms in the best interest of OCB / the movement.
4/ Coordination of the financial planning team
- Quality of the Financial information and Reporting
▪ Budget & Forecast: Ensures that Budget processes, policies and tools are consistent with the Finance Department strategy to produce timely and relevant information
▪ Making the bridge between Operational finance and HQ
▪ Leads the production of reports to be presented to the various stakeholders: General assembly, to the Board of Directors (OCB & MSF B) and to the Management (Codir, DG10); ensuring that information provided is accurate and relevant (e.g. choice of KPIs, ratios, ...)
▪ Ensures that tools and/or systems used for budget and reporting both for HQ and Operations are adequate
- Cost Control
The financial planning Unit should also enable and support an efficient use of resources. The Financial Control Coordinator should:
▪ Initiate cost controlling activities by the Unit for HQ aiming at sensitising budget owners on specific expense categories
▪ Identify costs/activities/projects that should be closely monitored and analysed
▪ Making sure that all new project budgets presented to the Codir have been properly challenged by the Financial planning unit before this presentation.
▪ Lead the production of ad hoc cost analysis
- Master in Finance or economics or MBA
- 5 years of experience in a Finance middle management position
- MSF field and operational experience is a plus.
- Strong financial technical and analytical skills, with demonstrated talent for identifying, and improving complex
work processes and set-ups.
- Problem-Solving/ Negotiation Skills/ Reasoning/Creativity: capacity to bring solutions adapted to a variety of
- Strong ability to adapt and to demonstrate initiative
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written) at various levels
- Strong ability to lead and organise a teamwork
- French and English required
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Trust, Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioural Commitments.
- Open-ended contract - full time - based in Brussels (Ixelles) - available to travel
- Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Complementary Retirement plan – Canteen at democratic price – reimbursement
(100%) for public transportation costs
- Starting date by 1st April, 2020
Deadline for Application: 28/02/2020
Applications to be sent to Kristina Presis,(Recruit.HQ.email@example.com), rue de l'Arbre Bénit 46, 1050 Ixelles.
– with "Senior Strategic Advisor" in the subject
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using
your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.