Vacancy Ecuador Global Engagement Officer at Acción Ecológica in Quito, Ecuador
CATAPA and Acción Ecológica are looking for a Global Engagement Officer to work with Acción Ecológica, in Quito, Ecuador, during a period of six months (with the possibility of extension). The collaborator will have two main tasks: (1) supporting the general operations of Acción Ecológica and (2) strengthening the connection between CATAPA and Acción Ecológica by exchanging information between both organisations, in order to establish new projects in the future.
Acción Ecológica is an environmental organization based in Quito, Ecuador, which aims to raise awareness on environmental issues and work towards a more sustainable environment. The organization has worked since 1986 on a wide range of socio-environmental conflicts, including but not limited to oil extraction, Amazon rainforest protection and metal mining. It has campaigned against the "El Mirador" copper mine, a mining project situated in La Cordillera del Condor, which threatens the environment of one of the most biodiverse regions in the world ánd the rights of the local communities surrounding the mining project. More information: http://www.accionecologica.org/
CATAPA is short for Comité Académico Técnico de Asesoramiento a Problemas Ambientales. It is a Ghentian environmental non-profit organization that sensitizes people in Flanders and Brussels about the social and ecological impact of large scale mining in Latin-America and supports organizations and communities in Peru, Colombia and Bolivia in their struggle against big mining projects. More information: www.catapa.be.
II. POTENTIAL TASKS
o Share knowledge between Acción Ecológica and CATAPA
o Provide information and materials that support the campaigns of CATAPA or Acción Ecológica
o Communicate externally about local and (inter)national news concerning mining, extractivism and social movements. E.g. through writing blogs and articles, by sharing photos on the website of CATAPA and by maintaining social media.
o Provide support for advocacy activities in Ecuador and Belgium (and the world)
o Have regular contact with CATAPA's Ecuador Working group in Belgium
o Contribute to strengthening the network between CATAPA, Acción Ecológica or other organisations on the ground
o Contribute to strengthening the local functioning of Acción Ecológica
o Discuss and determine cooperation strategies in consultation with CATAPA
o Support ad hoc projects of local partners related to mining issues
o Support the research initiatives of Acción Ecológica and CATAPA
o Map and follow-up on the different mining projects in the region of Cordillera del Condor
o Write investigative reports on the researched subjects
- You have advanced knowledge of Spanish
- You have advanced knowledge of either Dutch or English. Knowledge of both will be an asset
- Prior working experience abroad and/or in social projects is desirable
- Experience within CATAPA is an advantage
- You are a creative and flexible person
- You are able to work independently and to take own initiative
- You are an honest and dedicated person
- You have intercultural sensitivity, can adapt easily and have patience
- You are interested in topics related to the environment, sustainable development and indigenous people
- You are able to work in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team
- You preferably have a university degree
- You are interested in volunteering at CATAPA after return
- You are willing to set up projects and find funds/subsidies
Gender equality and diversity are important values for CATAPA.
IV. CONDITIONS AND DURATION
- Preparation by CATAPA before departure and follow-up during the stay
- A full travel insurance
- Reimbursement of costs for visa
- As a contribution to your local living cost, you will receive 425 Euros/month (if you don't have a right to social benefits in Belgium). From this amount you are also expected to cover your phone and local transport expenses for work related activities.
- We don't refund the flight ticket or costs involving vaccinations
- Work experience in a fascinating region with challenging tasks on current issues
- A professional and multicultural work environment with dedicated colleagues
- A warm welcome, training and continuous follow-up by the staff of Acción Ecológica
- An opportunity to learn, grow professionally and contribute to the vision of Acción Ecológica and to the fight against the harmful environmental and social consequences of mining.
Ideally from February 2019, with a duration of six months, and the possibility of extension after evaluation.
City of Quito, the capital of Ecuador
Send your CV and a motivation letter (in English and Spanish) to Silke Van Caenegem (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the latest on the 7 th of January 2019. Interviews are planned at the end of January 2019.