Wetenschappelijk medewerker slaapziekte (HAT)
Health Information System expert to support Sleeping Sickness elimination
Department of Public Health - Unit of Epidemiology and Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases
The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) is internationally recognized as a center of excellence for education, research, and service delivery in the field of tropical medicine.
The Department of Public Health focuses on the health of populations, through research on the epidemiology and control of tropical diseases as well as the study of health systems. The portfolio of the Department includes research on health policy; health systems; sexual & reproductive health, maternal & child health, tropical diseases, as well as research on antimicrobial resistance and outbreaks. Research at the department is multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary. Researchers have different backgrounds and include public health specialists; epidemiologists; social scientists and health economists.
The Unit of Epidemiology & Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases focuses on the control of diseases, such as trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, dengue, and leprosy. Since 2013 the Unit develops an ambitious implementation & research program in support of the Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) elimination, also referred to as Sleeping Sickness. Currently, this program supports the active screening of over 2,000,000 people annually in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). It involves the management and coordination of the different projects that aim for innovation in disease control approaches, digitalization of information systems, and scaling up these innovative approaches. The aim is to reach the elimination of sleeping sickness as a public health problem in 2020 and zero transmission to humans in 2030. We work in close collaboration with the health authorities of DRC, and a number of international partners. Evidence- and data-driven approach guides us in the scaling-up of the interventions.
Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Unit developed jointly with the Congolese National Program for Sleeping Sickness Control (PNLTHA), a digital platform to support the planning and monitoring of elimination activities. It involves an offline Android data collection system used in rural areas in DRC. Once data are uploaded in a central database, these data are validated and become the driving force behind a web-based interface that can be used for planning, reporting, monitoring, epidemiological and geospatial analysis, etc. This system will be scaled up nationwide, supported by a data management center at the national level.
For this ambitious project, we are looking for a Health Information System expert to join our multi-disciplinary team in Antwerp.
- You supervise the roll-out of the data management system in all provinces affected by HAT in DRC.
- You coach and support the program staff in charge of data collection.;
- You develop a training program and organise training sessions for the users of the system with the aim of establishing a network of health information system experts in DRC.
- You further develop the digital platform in collaboration with the software developers and your supervisor.
- You follow-up on the data flux and improve the system.
- You monitor evolutions in the field of health information systems.
- You are able to work independently on the tasks assigned to you, but you will work under supervision of the senior epidemiologist in charge of the data management system.
- You have a Master degree in (bio)-medical or ICT sciences;
- You have a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
- You have experience with health information systems and innovative approaches to data capture.
- Experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is an asset.
- You are available for frequent travel and field work in Africa.
- You have excellent knowledge of English and French; knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- You are a team player, have strong social and communication skills.
- A stimulating, international and committed working environment with room for personal initiative.
- You are based at ITM, situated in the vibrant city of Antwerp.
- A full-time contract of 1 year, extendable.
- Starting date as soon as possible.
- A gross salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities and to your work experience, with supplementary benefits: a public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, luncheon vouchers and a private pension scheme.
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Paul Verlé, Coordinator of the program (email@example.com). Send your application with application form and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 January 2019.
The ITM application form is available as a download on our website https://www.itg.be/E/vacancies
- Betaalde job
- Online sinds
- Indiensttreding: zo snel mogelijk